Monday, September 14, 2009

A new gadget

This is an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500. It is a fax machine, copy machine, scanner, photo printer, and just plain printer. It uses a water-resistant pigment-based ink so while it's not a laser printer, it fills the same basic need. It's fast, and the inks are priced reasonably on a per-page basis. So far, so good.

It replaces a laser printer, an inkjet printer, a scanner, and a fax machine, and frees up a huge amount of space in my home office even if it does sort of overlap the sides of my filing cabinet. And because it's network-connected to my Airport Extreme (via a network cable, not via WiFi), I can print wirelessly from my MacBook Pro while I'm at the dining room table or in the bedroom.

It just showed up in my Bonjour window when I went into Printer Preferences to add it as a printer. The scanner just showed up there too. Both work, and the document feeder works too for both copying and scanning, albeit I wish it had a duplexer. But for under $200, it's hard to be disappointed that the document feeder "only" gets one side of pages you feed it...

-Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment