Tuesday, September 8, 2009

An introduction

Welcome to my new blog. It may seem odd that, just as other forms of social media are taking off, I'd take up blogging, which is now widely regarded as "old school". But in a sense, I was blogging at my old site long before blogging existed as such, I just quit doing it because it was not fun blogging with /bin/vi as your main blogging tool and I never had time to write any automated blogging tools worth the name between architecting and releasing multiple products for multiple companies.

This blog is primarily for my technology ramblings. I'm not going to talk about politics, what I did over the Labor Day weekend, or anything like that. I will point out interesting new technologies, talk about development methodologies, and talk about failed projects and un-failed projects and what's the difference between good management and poor management. I released my first product in 1988, over twenty years ago, so I have a little bit of experience in the area. I am proud to say that I have never been part of a failed project (i.e., one that failed to ship), though in more than one case that was despite incompetent management that resulted in a development process much more protracted than necessary. I've had good managers, I've had bad managers, and I've managed multiple teams of my own. Sharing some of this expertise with younger engineers and freshly minted managers might seem a bit arrogant, but I have the battle scars -- and delivered product -- to justify it.

How often will posts appear here? Good question. I'm going to aim for at least twice a week. Like most good engineers I have no shortage of opinions about what makes a good piece of software or what is the difference between a well-managed company and a poorly-managed one, and as a serial startup guy and general geek I love talking about virtualization vs. containerization and cloud computing and things of that sort, even if it just to remind folks that only the terminology is new, there are no fundamentally new concepts at work here. So I don't have a shortage of material. What I do have is a shortage of time -- that whole startup thing, remember? So we'll see. In the meantime... Virtualization is successful because operating systems are weak. Read. Think. Discuss. Enjoy :).

- Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment